Tuesday, December 20, 2016

Suddenly

The beautiful lyrics in Les Miserables' "Suddenly" capture my feelings today and my love for my daughter Maya Grace who passed away peacefully on Sunday morning.

In the song, Hugh Jackman, who plays Jean Val Jean does an excellent portrayal of a man who is in the thrall of emotions over the prospect of being a father for the first time.

Maya Grace is my first and only daughter and I felt many feelings at a poignantly deeper level when she was born: amazement, grace and love. In her short six months of life she has brought so much love, light, and hope into my life. The lyrics to this song are beautiful and well express how Maya Grace impacted me as well as many who have witnessed her life and struggle. I am so grateful to God for allowing me to be her father and for teaching me through her. The lyrics to "Suddenly" are below:


Suddenly you're here
Suddenly it starts
Can two anxious hearts beat as one?
Yesterday I was alone
Today you are beside me
Something still unclear
Something not yet here
Has begun.

Suddenly the world
Seems a different place
Somehow full of grace,
Full of light
How was I to know that so much hope was held inside me?
What has passed is gone
Now we journey on through the night

How was I to know at last
That happiness can come so fast?
Trusting me the way you do
I’m so afraid of failing you
Just a child who cannot know
That danger follows where I go
There are shadows everywhere
And memories I cannot share

Nevermore alone
Nevermore apart
You have warmed my heart like the sun.
You have brought the gift of life
And love so long denied me.

Suddenly I see
What I could not see
Something suddenly
Has begun.


Thank you to all who have shared Maya's life with us.

-Nate

No comments:

Post a Comment