Sunday, August 5, 2012

Summer Internship 2012 - "Fun In 'The Ohio'"

Hi all,

Gillian and I are a little late to the blogging party, but here we go . . .

Gill, George, Oliver and I are returning to BYU in two weeks. My summer internship at Goodyear ends on Friday, August 10 and I have a final presentation to the Steering Committee tomorrow. They will decide whether I have a full-time job offer to return next year or not. I have received good reviews and feel confident that I will get an offer, however I do not want to start counting poultry until I see yellow fuzz.

Here's a list of some of the things we've been able to do this summer:


  1. We've spent the entirety of the summer in the Green, OH which is just south of Akron. We live on the first floor of a nice apartment complex and we are fortunate enough to face a forest that backs to a golf course, so we don't get much traffic. Our ward, the Canton Ward meets 20 minutes south of our apartment in North Canton. 
  2. We're 3.5 hours from Clawson, MI where Gill's siblings live. We've been out to visit them three times this summer. 
  3. We visited the Kirtland Temple and the surrounding Church Historical sites. A few weeks later I volunteered to go with three men from the ward and we mowed the John Johnson farm lawn and did other small projects on the camping area that is directly behind the farm. Afterwards we went on the tour of the farm. It was a great experience.
  4.  Gill and the boys came with me to hang out with some of my colleagues at an Akron Aeros Minor League baseball game and an Italian American festival, both in downtown Akron. 
  5. Earlier in the summer Gill's mom Valerie flew out and we drove down to "Amish Country" which is down around Millersberg, just south of here. We bought some decent Amish cheese and got some pretty cool photos of the Amish. 
  6. A few weeks ago I was able to attend my first Major League Baseball game - Indians vs. Orioles. Unfortunately the Indians lost, but they had a pretty decent Beatles cover band at the end which was fun to sing a long with. 
  7. A couple days ago we drove down to New Philadelphia, a small town about 45 minutes south of here. It's a small town that has a small park and rides, much like Roeding Park in Fresno. It was our consolation prize for not getting to do Disneyland with the family. 

At the John Johnson Farm
Inside the John Johnson Home
Outside the Home
The Giant Rock Landmark
First Major League Baseball Game
Small LDS Cemetery  from the 1800s
Gill and George on the fastest carousel in the world! (or so it seems)
George flying at Tuscora park in New Philadelphia, OH
Family portrait May 2012
More John Johnson Farm

No comments:

Post a Comment