Sunday, November 4, 2012

George's First Testimony

Hi Everyone,

I wanted to share a special experience about George. Today in the testimony portion of Sacrament meeting, after three people bore their testimonies George whispered to Gill, "I want to bear my testimony." Gill was a little nervous because George has a pretty strong vocabulary and sometimes has "interesting" ways of expressing himself. Consequently Gill asked George what he wanted to say.  After the person speaking sat down George shouted, "It's our turn!" and the congregation giggled. Gill reminded George that when we bear testimony we only say special things at the pulpit.

Gill brought George to the pulpit and nervously admitted to the congregation that this was a first for George. She held George and leaned forward bringing his mouth close to the microphone.

George said: "I love God . . . My mommy and daddy love me very much . . . The gospel is so cool . . . The gospel helps me to learn the right way . . . Amen!"

Between each phrase Gill encouraged George and asked if he had anything else to say.

Several people came up to George after church and commented how much they enjoyed his testimony. It was short, simple and sincere. Gill also mentioned that in the Bishop's lesson in Relief Society, he discussed George's testimony with the class and it was neat to hear how it helped many people feel the spirit.

We are proud of George for having the courage and desire to share his feelings with people he doesn't know.

Best,

Nate
George (The first time he bore his testimony) November 4th, 2012


I just wanted to add my feelings about this experience.  This morning we contemplated not attending church because George is showing some signs that he is getting sick...mostly the dreaded disaster sneezes...you know what I'm talking about.  We also had missed church last Sunday because on the whole we were not feeling well then either.  As we discussed our options we came to the conclusion that we were less worried the bishop would think we were going inactive and more concerned with not having our desperately needed spiritual weekly uplift, so for the first time in I can't even remember, we miraculously made it to church ON TIME and I must say, even looking clean and nice...did I mention it was miraculous?  We even made it early enough to sit in a cushioned pew...don't worry it was the last row.
As per usual all sound in the chapel was coming from our pew mostly in the form of Ollie gurgling and babbling much more than usual and the unwrapping of starbursts for George who was chanting about his desire for a snack.  (To give a little bit of perspective George is the oldest kid in our ward and often the only one in nursery).  I feel like Nate and I have grown accustomed to the background noise of our kids while trying to hear the sacrament talks and testimonies but most of the time George seems rather oblivious.  Normally I like to say things like "oh did you hear that?!" (with excitement) "they are talking about baptism..." (etc.)  Today however, as Nate mentioned above, George (upon being reminded that people were speaking at the pulpit) declared his intention to share his own testimony.  When George said this I had mixed emotions...we had not recently had a talk with him about getting up and bearing his testimony or anything, or how to do it, what is appropriate to say or anything.  I think the major lesson that George has gleaned from sacrament meeting is that the people speaking at the pulpit are saying something "really important"...mostly because that is my major tactic for getting him to listen, which by the way seems to rarely work.  I reminded George that we only say really special things at the pulpit, and George was confident that was what he would do.  I suppose my emotions were mixed because I did not want to tell him what to say, being eager myself to hear his testimony, but also worried something about farts or santa clause would be born into the microphone.  George and I walked hand in hand up the aisle as most turned and smiled at us and I whispered "here we goooo."  George of course then spoke confidently to the congregation of adults, his testimony.  It is hard to explain what I felt as George declared his love for heavenly father, that he knows his mommy and daddy love him very much, and that the gospel helps him to choose the right.  I of course had a few tears rolling down my face by the end and bore a testimony of my own.
In relief society the bishop taught the lesson and started it by asking everyone their thoughts on George's testimony and how it had brought a strong spirit to the meeting.  The bishop then went on to say how priceless George is to his mother and wanted to remind us that God loves us even more than that.  So often I think of my love for my boys and how powerful that feeling is and how imperfect I am.  I then compare it with God's love for us (his children) and how powerful and perfect that love is for us.  Thank you again to my boys for reminding me of this eternal truth.
Love, Gillian
George and Mommy after church on Fast Sunday (November 4th, 2012)

2 comments:

  1. How cool!! What a neat experience...could maybe be called a "tender mercy", wouldn't you say? Parenthood is mostly hard work but there are those little moments that make it all worth it. I'm sure this was one for you guys. Tell George Aunt Lindsay is proud!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very true! Frequently I find those tender mercies at church...you know the ones that make you look heavenward with a smile...this one indeed was a doozy:)

    ReplyDelete