Monday, October 1, 2012

The Giving Tree

Tonight as a part of the bed time routine (George already exhausted and sick) George asked me to read him "The Giving Tree" by Shel Silverstein.  Oliver sat babbling and chasing his pacifier around the floor.  When I got to the page where the tree said she had no more to give, George began to sob.   George explained through his tears that he wanted the tree to have a tall trunk and branches and that he was sad that she had no more to give.  For a moment I tried to cheer him up by telling him that the boy sat on her tree trunk and she was happy again.  He cried and cried and as I held him in my arms I wanted to cry as well and I agreed that I wanted the tree to be tall again too.   Later that evening as I related that event to Nate, both Nate and I fought back tears.

No comments:

Post a Comment